Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Day 272- A short note on the first day of school (because I need sleep)

Dear Mr. President,

Today was my first day of classes in over a year. While most nights at this time find me wide awake and worried about getting enough sleep, my chronic insomnia seems to be on hold for the evening, because all I want to do is crawl into bed and shut my eyes. It's a feeling I really don't want to discourage, so I'll make this brief.

In the coming months, you can be sure I will write to you about my classes and the subject matter we're covering, be it American Indian law or water security issues in the Middle East. But today was just the first day, and, for the most part, we just covered the syllabus and did introductions. My name's Kelsey. I'm a NELC major. I'm a senior. I'm in this class because I think it will help me understand the rest of the world. Etc.

One of my favorite professors suggested today that we could be optimists or we could be pessimists. Maybe being a pessimist was our right, and we could write our "ugly blogs about the sky falling" but it wasn't as productive, in general, as a positive outlook. And so, for the record, let me say that I do not think the sky is falling. Forgive me, but that is all I have for tonight.

Respectfully yours,

Kelsey

No comments:

Post a Comment