Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Day 300- 2 Presidents



Dear Mr. President,

Tonight Jimmy Carter came to my bookstore to sign his latest book. The excitement I felt at your visit last week probably can't be matched, but this came pretty close. It was an honor to have President Carter, of course, and worth every inconvenience that comes with secret service protection. Of course, (and I'm sure you're used to this by now) any high-profile visitor tends to draw out the craziest and most desperate people in the area. Tonight was no exception. One woman brought a 17-page letter and followed a Secret Service agent out to his car asking if the President would really read it. I won't lie- it was hard not to see a little of myself in her. I may never have written you a 17 page letter or hounded you (or your agents) in person, but I can empathize with that desire to be heard.

So now I've seen two Presidents in one week. The purpose of the events were vastly different, of course. You came to get out the vote, President Carter came to sell books. It would be unfair to compare the two events, of course. Still, for some one who observes the Presidency from such a distance, it was a thrill just to be in the same room. I really hope that I don't seem as crazy as that lady at my store tonight; I'm sure that she had valid reasons for her letter and her persistence, even if her tactics were probably not the most reasonable.

And with that, I think that I'm going to try and get some sleep before class. It has been an exhausting week, for all of its thrills.

Respectfully yours,

Kelsey


PS- Readers! Check out President Obama's interview on The Daily Show ! Sorry my last two letters have been a bit on the short side, I should be back to normal by tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment