Sunday, March 21, 2010

Day 80- HCR, finally

In the end, what this day represents is another stone firmly laid in the foundation of the American Dream. Tonight, we answered the call of history as so many generations of Americans have before us. When faced with crisis, we did not shrink from our challenge -- we overcame it. We did not avoid our responsibility -- we embraced it. We did not fear our future -- we shaped it.

President Barack Obama, 3/21/2010

Dear Mr. President,

Congratulations. I know that this was a costly victory, and that the reforms just passed in the House may lose the Democrats our majority come November. Thank you, sir; thank you for persevering, for fighting through the ideological entrenchment, the false, often absurd claims of your opponents, and the weak, self-serving members of your own party. It was an ugly fight, a long fight, and I was glad to hear house members calling attention to those, like Sen. Kennedy, who though they did not live to see their hard work realized, ought to share in the glory of this accomplishment. This is a good step, a first step, a bill that I don't believe goes far enough, but that reflects caution and consideration for your political opponents, even as they would not participate in the work of crafting it.

I've just watched two hours of debate, I am elated and exhausted, and I know these pale in comparison to the emotions you must be feeling. I have serious qualms with your executive order, and with the democrats who voted with the motion to recommit. But we have won the day, and I will have many, future letters to complain about the continuing assault on a woman's right to make the decisions about her own body. Despite this, despite the ugliness of the fight, the cringe-inducing mangling of words by Speaker Pelosi; despite it all, I am so proud of my country today.

Well done, Mr. President. Thank you, on my own behalf, and for my friends and loved ones who will be comforted and relieved by this legislation. I believe this will, in time, prove to be one of the great accomplishments of the American government; that history will remember the magnitude of this achievement and the President who made it possible.

Respectfully yours,

Kelsey

No comments:

Post a Comment